Tuesday 16 August 2022
12:00PM 3 Abbey Street, Newton, Auckland
The catalogue for our second Rare Book auction of the year features important and interesting works from several collections. Highlights of the catalogue include:• A large number of books on art & music, private press and literature from the libraries of sculptor John Edgar and
musician Richard Nunns;
• Robin Hyde – Inscribed copies of ‘Dragons Rampant’ and ‘Nor the Years Condemn’;
• A rare copy of Ian Fleming’s ‘On Her Majesty’s Service’ Jonathon Cape, this copy No 224 of 250 copies, Fleming’s
only signed limited edition, published simultaneously with the first Trade edition 1 April, 1963;
• Of major interest are a complete set of the three Voyages of Captain James Cook 1773-1784, in eight text volumes and two folio atlases of plates and charts;
• Sydney Parkinson - A Journal of a Voyage to the South Seas…. London 1773, first edition;
• W.L. Buller’s ‘A History of the Birds of New Zealand’, London 1888 and ‘Supplements to the Birds of New Zealand’, London 1906;
• Historic New Zealand watercolours, lithographs and maps;
• A collection of major New Zealand hunting books with provenance to T.E. Donne, from the library of Brendan Coe
founder and editor of Rod+Rifle;
The sale also features a large selection of New Zealand historic photographs, watercolours, lithographs, and maps; four Herbert Ponting images from the Terra Nova Expedition with the Paul Popper label; and ephemera from the Byrd and Shackleton Expeditions to the Antarctic.
This is an online auction only. Bidding opens on Wednesday 10 August and will begin closing with lot 1 at noon on Tuesday 16 August. Thereafter, lots will close consecutively every 30 seconds until completion. If a lot receives a bid within the last two minutes, it will auto-extend for two minutes until bidding stops. You can bid via our personalised app (which can be downloaded via the App Store or Google Play), or via our desktop platform at live.artandobject.co.nz.