Tuesday 16 August 2022
12:00PM 3 Abbey Street, Auckland CBD, Auckland 1010
Art and Object’s mid-year Rare Book Auction is to be held on 16 August 2022.
• A complete set of the Voyages of Captain James Cook 1773-1784, together with two folio atlases of plates and charts. The eight text volumes are uniformly bound in early 19th century half leather bindings, the atlases with half leather and marbled boards.
• Sydney Parkinson - A Journal of a Voyage to the South Seas in His Majesty’s ship, The Endeavour. London 1773, first edition with the rare explanatory remarks by John Fothergill.
• David Collins – An Account of the English Colony of New South Wales. London 1804.
• Walter Lawry Buller – A History of the birds of New Zealand. London 1888 second edition and Supplements to the Birds of New Zealand. London 1905.
• Framed lithograph of Huia birds from ‘A History of the Birds of New Zealand’ with an original Huia feather laid into the mount.
• An interesting selection of historic New Zealand photographs as well as four original Herbert Ponting images from Captain Scott’s 1910-13 Terra Nova Expedition.
Included in the catalogue is a large collection of art and private press books from the library of sculptor John Edgar ONZM (1950 – 2021), including several signed and inscribed copies by Keri Hulme. We are offering the final part of the library of Richard Nunns (1945-2021), which includes his extensive collection of books by Samuel Beckett and James Joyce. Of major interest is a copy of Ian Fleming’s ‘On Her Majesty’s Service’ Jonathon Cape, 1963 limited edition signed by Ian Fleming.
This sale also includes major New Zealand hunting books from the collection of Brendan Coe. In 1980, Coe founded Rod&Rifle and was the editor/publisher for 35 years. The magazine was born out of his desire to bring New Zealand’s top fishing and hunting stories to the fore front and to support the rapidly changing New Zealand outdoor scene.
For appraisals contact:
Pam Plumbly | Rare Books Consultant
021 448 200
Lithograph from 'The History of the birds of New Zealand' second edition 1888. Laid into the base of the mount is an original huia bird feather.